Saturday 15 December 2007

HAC 2007.

High Achiever's Camp.
FUN, FUN and more FUN.
Three simple words that can knock you out of breath.
Three days, two nights.
Pure adrenaline, enjoyment and nostalgia.

As most of you had already read Christie's blog, you already know the gist of the camp.
It was on 12th December till 14th December in Kundang, Rawang. Students from Klang Valley were to gather at Museum Negara at 8.30am before departing at 9.30am. Mum woke me after 7.00am. I wanted to get back to bed since I slept around 1am the night before. She thought we were to gather at 8.00am but she heard wrongly. I guessed I asked her to wake me up at 8.00am instead. We arrived around 8.10am. There were a number of people there. I couldn't see Christie anyway and just waited with mum. I was in bus 5. Looking around, I couldn't find any familiar familiar faces. It was just a whirl of faces all around me. But guess what, I wasn't afraid or nervous, I felt a surge of excitement in my heart. All these new faces meant new friends.

The bus arrived, boarded it and sat somewhere in the middle. A girl [whom I know later was Joe Yee from SBU and goes to the same centre as me ] asked if she could sit with me. I had to tell her that I had a friend sitting there already. [ that friend which you can guess as much is Chris ] She just shrugged her shoulders, said "Ok" and went to sit in front. I felt a little bad but I quickly shook it off. We could make friends later. Chris finally arrived and all the way long, we chatted non-stop. We were the only ones talking. We arrived at MBS, Kundang and registered and had tea. Guess what?? They feed us SIX times a day. Breakfast, tea, lunch, tea, dinner and supper. No need to worry about being hungry. After eating, we were all chaperoned to Conference Room C and jam-packed like sardines in there. There were about 278 people in that room which wasn't that large. The facilitator, Evan and Timothy whom insisted we called Abang gave us a short briefing about D' Jungle People and taught us the Jungle Juniors Rock. We checked into our individual dorms, some were chalets. I was in dorm 118 and there were 27 of us in the dorm. Then we each went into our own company. There were three. Alpha Company, Bravo Company and Charlie Company. I was in the Bravo Company and Christie was in the Alpha Company. I only knew one person who was in the same company as me who was Nicole. Then us, the Sergeants had to create our own company flag. Nicole got the idea of an eagle from the shirt of another girl and sketched it out. It was amazing how agile she was at drawing the picture after a brief look. All of us contributed ideas and agreed on the eagle. The boys painted the eagle which later turned out to be a phoenix since it was all red, orange and yellow while the girls painted the background and words. All of us worked together as one. Another group of us had to cut put strips of red so that we know who were in our team and painted Japanese words on the strip. On it were written Good luck everyone in Japanese. Halfway through it all, we had lunch.

After eating, we finished our flags, learned our war cry and went on to activities. We played four games. I was in Group 1 with Christopher, Hooi Gee, Xun Kin and several others whom I can't remember their names. The first game was 'Landmine Ball'. It was such a tiring game. We had to wear gloves, link arms with a partner and hit the ball to your opponent's goal. It wasn't easy at all. Next we had the hula hoop and a heavy plank of wood game. This game involves strategizing, teamwork and coordination. We did not win that game and we all felt down. After these two games, it was time for outdoor games. This game involved five people carrying a cup filled with water and a ping pong ball using only a finger. We were screaming and laughing while playing this game. We got first. Yay. We were definitely ecstatic and head to the water balloon game. The boys were being cheeky, making fun of one another while we filled the balloons with water. Before we even went to 'battle', they were already wet due to their cheekiness and clumsiness. Hooi Gee was one of the wettest ones. Then we went out to battle. I was the 'defender'. I managed to help the team to win thanks to their help when I grabbed the flag from the middle and brought it back safely to my side. A guy was like totally lost and asked whether we won. I laughed and told him yes. We each went to our respective dorms, had a shower and then dinner. At night, Timothy gave the sergeants a speech, telling us about his past, advising us and cracking jokes of course. Nicole's phone rang all of a sudden and everyone looked at her. Timothy was saying, "Answer that, must be Mummy calling." I was right beside her. Timothy taught us something we often amiss in our lives. 'Think before doing anything' and gave us three questions that had something to do with our personal reflections. We had supper and went to bed. Susanna and another girl was talking and laughing loudly till someone came in and they became quiet.

On the second day, we had morning exercise and a very looooooooong headcount. After breakfast, we went to Conference Room C where we had Kumon Workshop and Timothy and Evan were as usual up to their antics. We had group discussions and this guy who was a Maths Completer gave really good tips to my group. Then we had lunch but before that we went back to the conference room and were told to present 3 presentations from each company and rank. During lunch, we discussed about it. Somehow me and Zhen Yie became in charge of the drama thing for sergeants. It was so hard to get all the sergeants to cooperate and I was seriously loosing patience. Xun Kin told me I was so fierce that the guys were afraid that I will scold them. I'm not surprised *sticks tongue out*

Our first game on that day was Monster Garden [ considering you've read Christie's blog, you'll know what is it about ] I managed to get a card for my team. It wasn't easy. Later Christopher and Xun Kin were saying how they appreciate their sight. Next we had a water game which was fun. Hooi Gee got so wet but she didn't mind that since our group won. Then we had another blind-fold game which we lost but it didn't matter. Next on the list was water sports. *smiles with glee* We changed and lined up in front of the pool. We had a life saving game first for me and the half the girls in my team then water polo before rafting. We learnt how to quail a rope and save people from drowning with it. It is useful for life saving. Water rafting wasn't easy. Recreation time was fun. There I got to know Edward and Jae Han and I got a little mad at him. I splashed water right at him. He stills hold a grudge against me. Haha.. I'll skip the other details since they will bore you. [ if you already aren't bored ]

At night, we had to present our presentation and what do you know... The girls from my team refuse to co-operate and we lost two scenes. It was entirely up to the guys. Thank goodness there were Wei Wen, Christopher and Xun Kin. Thirty minutes before our presentation, the guys got everything done. Xun Kin was panicking like mad and I thought I was the one who was suppose to be panicking. He is one unusual guy. All the presentations were hilarious, entertaining and humouring. At least mine went well even thought there were a few mistakes. I felt like hugging everyone who helped in the drama especially Zhen Yie, Christopher, Wei Wen and Xun Kin. I loved the part where Christopher and his team did the "Swimming, swimming, swimming," thing just like Finding Nemo. Credits to Christopher and Wei Wen. I don't know how to thank you guys. Campfire was a blast. We held each other's shoulders and made a long, long train while going round in circles around the camp fire singing D' Jungle Junior song. Lights out was at 11.00pm, 30 minutes later. None of us could persuade Timothy to prolong the time.

The last day. *sighs heavy-heartedly* I didn't feel like leaving. I felt like I belonged there. I had became attached to the people there and made tons of friends. We discussed in our own group what we had learn throughout the camp after meeting in Conference Room C. Everyone in Bravo agreed that we all learned how to say, " I tell you ah..." and "You fellas" from Timothy. Han and another guy made up a new one, " You tell me ah.." and everyone burst into gales of laughter. Then we get to choose the best camper from each rank. I was voted as one but Nicole outwon me by a few numbers. I wasn't sad or disappointed. In fact, I felt happy for her. I was already very exhilarated when many of the sergeants and majors voted for me. Timothy told us that even if we did not win, it wasn't important. The most important thing was that we had fun participating, enjoyed ourselves thoroughly and gain lots of experience and friends. That was what that counted. Alpha won and screamed and shouted in sheer delight. We had a photo session after that. I took picture with the guys and we then departed back to the museum.

On the way back, Willey, Christie and I talked non-stop. We were the only ones talking and Willey said that out loud. He claimed that no one wanted to talk cause they were from different companies. But I pointed out that the three of us were from different companies as well. Christie was from Alpha, I was from Bravo and Willey was from Charlie. ABC. We just laughed. The journey wasn't long. It was considerably short.

What I learned during these three days are life-long experiences.
What I had went through during these three days are one of the most memorable days of my life.
What I gained during these three days will forever be in me.
To all the friends whom I had became attached with, till next year, we'll meet again. So long.
The pictures below are credits to Xun Kin. It's all from his camera. Thanks a million. =]

A guy whom I forgot what his name was, Christopher, Evan and Xun Kin.

Xun Kin and Christopher's friends who were in the same centre as them.

Zhen Yie, Jing Yuan, Christopher, Xun Kin and me with the other three.


All the Bravo's.



Christopher's and Xun Kin's friends from their centres.


You guys will forever be etched in my heart. See ya all next year. Till time bring us together again. ^^

2 comments:

Christie C. said...

I like your flags! Oh, and, hopefully by next year I'll be one step further away from being a barbarian. *winks* LMAO

Kelly K. said...

*laughs uncontrollably*
Credits to Nicole. The flag was drawn by her and painted by the guys. And another girl wrote it. How barbaric can you get? *grins widely*